- Ideally regularly scheduled weekly or bi-weekly.
- Psychodynamic: paying attention to and processing feelings, sensations and thoughts that arise in the therapeutic relationship. Using this relationship as a tool for healing.
- Issues can range from depression, anxiety, trauma, struggle with problematic habits, relational difficulties.
- Emotionally focused
- Incorporating much education about relationships and training in effective interactions
- Using Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples ( EFT, Sue Johnson) and other models
- Open to a variety of relationships, not just heterosexual couples
- Individual or joint with a few others
- Focus on transference and countertransference and effective use of self
- Non-judgemental, mutual, sharing experiences and ideas as colleagues